Totaal aantal pageviews

maandag 9 mei 2011

Verschrikkelijk...

... is what it is. (Despicable)

So I didn't make a single bloody post in April. Well I was busy. I had Rich, Elaine and Andy come to visit, which was fab (they brought Marmite, Dusch Das, chocolate bunnies, Attitude mag, Heat mag, and lots of other sexy things!) We had a FAB weekend together, although it is definately safe to say that the following week I spent in recovery. Various visits to Belgica, Chez Maman, the Box (oh dear) and just generally trash bag parties, made it into one of the most fabulous and ridiculous BGWs (Big Gay Weekend) ever.

The weekend after, Basia had a few mates from her days in France come to visit. Laura from Manchester (fabulous girl), Princess from London (such a cool lass!), Kathy from the Luftwaffe (thanks to Basia for letting me make Luftwaffe jokes in front of her BEFORE telling me she was German), Kate from Leeds (much West Yorkshire bonding was had), Lola (who didn't have feathers in her hair, but a tiara at one stage) and last but not least Lindsey from Canada - crazy biatch!

But from now I am back to work and working long and hard (lol). My aim is to start saving from June, sending money back to England and paying off my overdraft (the dreaded student overdraft that everyone seems to want to forget about!). On the upside I got a reply from the Student Loans Company and I don't have to repay my loan yet as I'm not earning enough money yet. But, I have to keep a record of my earnings for the coming year and tell them at the end of march next year so they can reassess (I just had to look up that word, my spelling and general English language is terrible at the moment) my situation. I figure if I pay off my overdraft and save up some good money for travelling sometime next year, I can use whatever money I save, and then I still have my overdraft as a back up. Hopefully they won't take it off me once I pay it off!

Work is going well. I'm working some good hours at the moment so will be earning some good money this month, which is annoying as it doesn't seem to go very far. Once I've paid my rent and some towards debts, I don't have much left over to save, but I guess that's just life! I'm happy though, which is the most important thing.

The radio show thing went well! The more I listen to it the more I realise my Dutch was horrific. I was nervous and it definately showed, but I still enjoyed myself and was cool to hear my voice and my mix on the radio. Gina's mix was banging as ever, and I was really glad I could help in whatever small way I could in her mission to bring banging tunes to the world! She has her own recording studios in Wombwell, and her own website http://www.missbdj.com/ where you can find info on her studios and everything that she's doing!

For the recording of the show itself, check out my soundcloud page http://soundcloud.com/maitre_d

I was meant to have a long weekend off work, but they called me in to do an 8.5 hour shift yesterday. It was Mother's Day here so there were a lot of people who didn't want to work. I on the other hand, had already done the whole Mother's Day thing in the UK in April, so I was free to work. Double pay with bonus, I think so.

However, there it was actually quite busy for a Sunday, and there was a particular flight to Warsaw with LOT that I was doing, a full flight, with 2 check-in agents. The last guy I had to check in wasn't best pleased that he had to wait in line and was the last in the queue. Complaining that the self check-in machines wouldn't work, I explained that only a handful of airlines at Brussels Airport use those machines, and LOT isn't one of them. He said that was ridiculous, and asked if I was Polish, or whether I worked for LOT. I said no to both, and he got even more angry that, God forbid, an airline might use a ground handling agent. Unheard of. Wait...

The funniest bit was when he started on some rambling about communism, and relating that to the existance of queues before and after the fall of the iron curtain, drawing comparisons between Poland and Belgium. My jaw was well and truly dropped after this, as well as those of others around me (it was either that or burst into fits of laughter). Just another day at the airport, I guess. Bring on the next one!

3 opmerkingen:

  1. Not horrific Dutch at all! I loved the interview!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. Aww thanks! But I'm better in real life! That interview was on a par with my Dutch oral exam in final year!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Seriously, excellent Dutch. You seemed to have nailed the Belgian intonation and consonants completely now, so I would certainly mistake you for a Belg

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen