Totaal aantal pageviews

maandag 9 mei 2011

Leuven/Louvain/Löwen

So literally, just after I posted the last entry, I had a fit of spontaneity and decided to jump on a bus somewhere. I decided Leuven wasn't too far (around 31 kilometres) and that I could take the slow bus and have a nice trip through the countryside.

I packed a little picnic for myself, my book (Tony Blair's A Journey, which I will probably review whenever I finish it) and set off. I think I just needed a day away from the city, a change of scenery, somewhere I could think and just relax. On the way there there were these beautiful fields and the weather was lovely, and I even thought about just jumping off the bus and chilling out there for the afternoon. However, I knew I wanted to see Leuven, and I also kind of wanted a cold beer.

Leuven is really nice, really chilled out and such a student city. You totally get that vibe as soon as you get off the bus/train - students are everywhere (which I guess means it's a ghost town between semesters) and the shopping looks really good. Lots of pretty old buildings, like the Stadhuis and the Oude Markt.

I had a few pintjes in the "Leuvens Studentcafe" on the right. I wanted to feel like a student. Lame.

The pretty Stadhuis. Lots of flag poles attached, but not as many flags as the Stadhuis in Antwerpen.
So after walking around and looking at the nice buildings, and strolling along the river that runs through the city (the Dijle), I decided to chill out on the Oude Markt for a bit and enjoy a few pintjes in the sun that was just starting to come out.  I chose a student bar, as the student vibe of the city really got to me, and being the lame ex-student, wanted to feel just a little bit like a student again. Cheap lager and a book on a Monday afternoon (i.e. drinking and not working) certainly reminded me of the many sunny afternoons living the student dream.

After a couple and a good read, I set my book down to have a think and a listen to some tunes (I had also decided this morning to not skip any songs on my iPod, and to listen to anything that it told me to. I have to say, it was really good!). Recently the idea popped into my head about going back to university. Not because I miss being a student so much that I can't live a life without study, but because I stumbled upon a Master's Degree programme at the VUB (Vrije Universiteit Brussel). I was meant to go to an open day yesterday but had to work instead, so I'm hoping to catch the next one. It would certainly be cheap to do here, and I could continue working as well to support myself (not that I haven't ever not done some work during my studies) during the 1 or 2 years, depending on how fast I want to complete it.

However, this is just something to think about. Who knows what I'll want to do in a year's time. My main focus for now is saving up money to do some travelling. Then I can decide if I want to do a Master's Degree after that. I'm just glad that I have Belgium as a viable option for study. I've made a life here, and I definitely don't want to give it up now that I'm happy. It's not like there is much for me in the UK besides studying/doing my PGCE (which I would like to do in the future), so I might as well stay here. I do miss home though, so I think some visits will be in order this year. If not, at least a bloody holiday is needed! I need to sort out Ibiza with Debs and the gang from home at the beginning of next month, as I'm worried about getting the time off work! Fingers crossed :)

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten